Audiences have been waiting 13 years to jump back into the ocean with Nemo, Marlin, and of course Dory. The sequel to the 2003 hit broke numerous box office records over its opening weekend.
According to Box Office Mojo, Finding Dory had the largest single day and opening day for an animated feature, taking in an estimated $54.9 million. The film additionally had the biggest opening ever for an animated feature, making a total of $136.1 million at the domestic box office. Given the positive reception from critics and audiences alike, it’s safe to say Dory will just keep swimming.
Central Intelligence claimed second place, making $34.5 million over its opening weekend. The Conjuring 2 fell to third with $15.5 million, Now You See Me 2 came in fourth with $9.6 million, and Warcraft rounded out the top five with a mere $6.5 million. The later film would be considered an epic financial dud if it weren’t for China, where it’s made over $200 million.
Check out this weekend’s full box office estimates below:
- Finding Dory – $136,183,170
- Central Intelligence – $34,500,000
- The Conjuring 2 – $15,555,000
- Now You See Me 2 – $9,650,000
- Warcraft – $6,520,000
- X-Men: Apocalypse – $5,210,000
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows – $5,200,000
- Me Before You – $4,155,000
- Alice Through the Looking Glass – $3,615,385
- Captain America: Civil War – $2,296,207