Recently it was reported that Warner Bros. are looking to recast Daniel Radcliffe as the title role in the Harry Potter and the Cursed Child movie. And now Radcliffe has addressed those rumors.
According to New York Daily News, the studio hopes to release the film as soon as 2020 with Radcliffe returning:
“Warner is secretly working on getting the movie rights and a screenplay settled, and of course in their minds only one man should be Harry.” a source told the news outlet.
Radcliffe’s response to the news seems positive as the 27 year old won’t rule out a return:
“I’m never going to close the door; that would be a stupid thing to do.” he told The Hollywood Reporter at the Deauville Film Festival.
He went onto say though, that he wouldn’t have a problem with another actor taking on the iconic role:
“[I’m] happy enough and secure enough to let someone else play it. Even in 10 years time I would feel strange about going back to it.”
Radcliffe feels the franchise could take inspiration from the success of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, but added that “some things are better left untouched, there’s also the chance that we’d make Phantom Menace, [let’s not] sour what people have already loved.”
These comments follow on from similar remarks he made earlier in the year when he told the Radio Times:
“It would depend on the script. The circumstances would have to be pretty extraordinary. But then I am sure Harrison Ford said that with Han Solo [in Star Wars], and look what happened there.”
NY Daily News reports that Warner Bros. will create a storyline centered around Harry’s son, with the intention of turning it into an entire new film trilogy.
In the meantime, we can return to the Harry Potter world when Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them hits screens on November 18.