Like everyone, Ricky Gervais was shocked and saddened to hear the news of David Bowie’s passing. The comedian idolised the music legend and was lucky enough to star with Bowie in an episode of Extras in 2007. Gervais revealed his sadness over today’s news on twitter:
I just lost a hero. RIP David Bowie.
— Ricky Gervais (@rickygervais) January 11, 2016
Bowie also acted in many movies and it was film that took centre stage at last night’s Golden Globes which Gervais himself presented. The British comedian was on fine form as he dished out his usual slur of controversial yet hilarious jokes. Here’s some of his highlights:
1.”I’m going to get this monologue out of the way and then go into hiding. Not even Sean Penn will find me… Snitch”
2. “I’ve got three [Golden Globes awards]. One’s a door stop. One I use to hit burglars with. And one I keep by the bed ’cause… doesn’t matter why. It’s mine. I won it fair and square. It is just the right shape and size. So, to be clear, that was a joke about me shoving Golden Globes, that I’ve won, up my ass. And they asked me to host four times!”
3. I’m gonna be nice tonight — I’ve changed. Not as much as Bruce Jenner, obviously. Now Caitlyn Jenner, of course. What a year she’s had. She became a role model for trans people everywhere, showing great bravery in breaking down barriers and destroying stereotypes. She didn’t do a lot for women drivers.”
4. “Eva Longoria and America Ferrera are not only beautiful and talented actresses, they are also two people who your future president Donald Trump can’t wait to deport.”
5. “Joy and Trainwreck, no not the names of Charlie Sheen’s two favourite hookers… the films of our next two presenters.”
6. “He’s been the only person Ben Affleck hasn’t been unfaithful to. Please welcome Matt Damon.”
You can watch Gervais’ opening monologue below, and click here to see last night’s full list of winners.